What Is WestEd's Teach for Success?
WestEd's Teach for Success is a focused, collaborative, research-based framework and process aligned to the Common Core State Standards that improves K-12 student achievement by improving classroom instruction.
- We build the leadership capacities of administrators, academic coaches, and teachers to understand and provide elements of effective instruction.
- We establish a systematic approach enabling administrators to ensure high-quality instruction.
- We provide a common vocabulary for discussing effective teaching.
- We train administrators and coaches to use the Teach for Success Classroom Observation Protocol, which provides objective data on how well the elements of effective teaching are being implemented schoolwide and in classrooms.
- We train in a variety of methods for providing ongoing, specific feedback to teachers on improving their ability to plan, deliver, and assess effective, rigorous standards-based instruction.
- We provide workshops and job-embedded, on-site coaching to assist administrators and academic coaches with walk through observations and analysis of classroom instruction using the customized Teach for Success observation instrument.
How Teach for Success Helps You
High student achievement depends on excellent teaching. We also know that sometimes administrators and teachers need neutral, common ground and a shared vocabulary for describing good teaching. That's why Teach for Success first establishes criteria and protocols to impartially discuss the process of teaching, and then shows how to improve classroom instructional practices. The result? Demonstrated growth in student achievement.
Who Should Use Teach for Success?
District leaders and school teams, including teachers, instructional coaches, and principals, will all benefit from Teach for Success.
What Participants Report
“Classroom instruction has improved countywide in the participating school districts using the T4S model.”
“An effective classroom observation protocol has been the missing piece. T4S will supply data, without judgment, that can be used by whole schools, departments, and grade levels, and for individual teacher/administrator coaching. Thanks to the WestEd development team. It will make a great difference in our [state's] schools!”