How to Prepare a Requested Manuscript
When you are preparing a manuscript in fulfillment of your publishing agreement with WestEd, please follow these steps:
- Create your manuscript in Microsoft Word, using the 12-point Times New Roman font, double-spaced.
- Do not format the text beyond indenting new paragraphs and indicating the level of any heads and subheads.
- Do not use the spacebar to indent paragraphs.
- Leave only a single space after a period or colon.
- Create a new file for each section (e.g., table of contents, preface, bibliography) and for each chapter.
- Create each chart, table, or figure as a separate file. Indicate the placement of each in the text immediately following the paragraph of its first mention with a line such as “Figure x goes here,” but do not place any of these graphics in the text itself.
- Indicate the approximate placement of each photograph or illustration. Include a complete caption with each photograph. Include the original, not a copy, of each photograph or illustration. If a photograph or illustration is an electronic file, such as a jpeg, include it as a separate file. Do not place any electronic graphics files in the text itself.
- Submit all text in hard copy as well as electronically. For any art that is saved as electronic files, print out a hard copy and submit it in addition to the electronic version.
- This is very important. Do not print out copies of any text or art until you have made every last change to your electronic files. Do not submit print and electronic versions of text or art that differ from each other in ANY way.
- Submit all necessary permissions for excerpted and quoted text, art work, student work, and photographs. Please download and use the WestEd permission forms provided here (in PDF format) for adult photographic permission, parent or custodian photographic permission, parent or custodian permission for student work, and permission to reproduce previously published or copyrighted material. Save a copy of any permission form for your files and submit the original to WestEd.
- Contact your editor with any questions.