about the project
The U.S. Department of Education selected WestEd as the lead agency to operate the California Comprehensive Center (CA CC).
The Comprehensive Centers are charged with building state capacity to implement fully the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), improve student achievement, and close achievement gaps.
The CA CC provides assistance to the California Department of Education and other state agencies, as well as to statewide groups and organizations that help districts and schools implement ESEA.
WestEd is partnering with the American Institutes for Research (AIR) and School Services of California (SSC).
AIR is a nonprofit applied research firm operating in California since 1946, developing and disseminating information and resources, and providing technical assistance to support educators in using research-based programs and practices.
During the past 30 years SSC has served most of California’s school districts, county offices, and community colleges in meeting their management, governance, and fiscal responsibilities.
AIR and SSC complement the resources of WestEd to fulfill the mission of the CA CC.
The CA CC has five priority areas:
- Supporting those working to build the capacity of districts and schools to improve student achievement;
- Building the capacity of the state and districts to support students with special needs, including English learners, and students in special education and migrant education;
- Disseminating research-based and promising practices;
- Building the capacity of key statewide networks to support ESEA implementation; and
- Building the capacity of the state to use technologies to support districts and schools.
The CA CC is part of a federal network of 16 regional Comprehensive Centers, serving individual states or clusters of states.
In addition, the network includes five Content Centers that develop materials and products in support of the Comprehensive Centers.
The network of Centers works closely with the Regional Educational Laboratories as well as with other federally funded technical assistance providers.