about the project
DistrictsMovingUp is a comprehensive, coherent, and intensive team-based process that ensures improved student achievement.
- build district capacity to increase student achievement;
- help district personnel create sustainable accountability systems; and
- use data-driven and results-driven strategies to help districts improve learning for all students.
WestEd knows from research and decades of experience that a one-size-fits-all approach does not work. That's why the DistrictsMovingUp team develops a customized proposal based on individual district strengths and needs.
Each DistrictsMovingUp action plan is customized by a leader who is familiar with the district's culture and goals — but, most importantly, their student achievement data. While an implementation will differ based on each district's unique characteristics and needs, the DistrictsMovingUp process remains the same.
Ten evidence-based principles guide our work:
- Focus unwaveringly on good instruction that reflects sound research and best practices.
- Align standards, curriculum, assessment, and instruction.
- Build capacity to analyze and use data effectively to make decisions.
- Build capacity to develop and use effective common formative assessments at regular intervals throughout the school year to monitor progress and make adjustments accordingly.
- Use fiscal and human resources effectively to support student achievement.
- Provide high-quality, ongoing, job-embedded professional development that helps all personnel acquire the knowledge and skills they need to perform their jobs effectively.
- Hold all people in the system appropriately accountable for improved student achievement.
- Develop courageous leaders at all levels of the district who can effectively implement and manage ongoing improvement.
- Be customized and flexible enough to meet the unique needs of each district.
- Gain active engagement from family and community.
DistrictsMovingUp leaders are experienced superintendents and assistant superintendents with proven track records leading local and state reform efforts.
Our knowledgeable and committed team works collaboratively with district stakeholders to provide customized, research-based solutions that meet the unique needs of their district.
Download the DistrictsMovingUp brochure (PDF) and visit our website.