Early Start Comprehensive System of Personnel Development
about the project
The Center for Prevention & Early Intervention (CPEI) supports the state of California in providing the training and technical assistance Early Start personnel need to serve the unique needs of children, birth to age 3, with developmental delays or disabilities.
CPEI helps the state of California develop and implement a statewide-focused monitoring system and annual reporting process, and maintain the Comprehensive System of Personnel Development (CSPD) and statewide public awareness efforts as required under Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
Major project activities include:
- Development and implementation of a training curriculum for service providers who work with infants and toddlers as defined by federal and state statutes.
- Development of multiple training institutes for a variety of direct service providers, administrators, and family support networks.
- Technical assistance to community colleges to train and effectively use paraprofessionals and early intervention assistants under the Community College Personnel Preparation Project.
- Facilitation of quality assurance activities.
- Development and implementation of both online and in-person components of the five-year CSPD plan.
- Administration of the Early Start Personnel Development Fund and maintenance of an Early Start library for statewide dissemination of materials.
- Development and dissemination of public awareness materials statewide.
- Support related to meeting U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education requests and requirements.