West Comprehensive Center
about the project
The West Comprehensive Center (WCC) provides high-quality technical assistance to Arizona, Nevada, and Utah. WCC works with state leaders to improve the organizational management, capacity, and productivity of state education agencies as they support districts and schools in improving student outcomes.
WCC's technical assistance leverages research-based and promising practices, resources, and expertise through regional collaboratives focusing on eight priority areas:
- Implementing college- and career-ready standards and aligned, high-quality assessments for all students
- Identifying, recruiting, developing, and retaining highly effective teachers and leaders
- Turning around the lowest-performing schools
- Ensuring school readiness and success of preschool-age children and their successful transition to kindergarten
- Building rigorous instructional pathways that support the successful transition of all students from secondary education to college without need for remediation, and careers
- Identifying and scaling up innovative approaches to teaching and learning that significantly improve student outcomes
- Using data-based decision-making to improve instructional practices, policies, and student outcomes
- Strengthening systems and management to enhance productivity
Through WestEd's partnership with the National Congress of American Indians, WCC ambitious scope of work includes building the capacity of the region's state education agencies to work with tribal leadership, districts, and schools in Native lands to improve achievement results for American Indian students.
Other WCC partners include the University of Virginia Partnership for Leaders in Education School Turnaround Specialist Program, and RMC Research Corporation.
WCC is part of a federal technical assistance network of 15 Regional Comprehensive Centers and 7 supporting Content Centers across the nation. The network of centers also works closely with other technical assistance providers to ensure effective coordination of education services.