Format: Trade Paper
Audience: Teachers, Teacher Educators, Researchers, Administrators
Order #: READ-12-01
Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms, 2nd Edition
This significantly updated edition of Reading for Understanding shows how teachers and students can work together to boost literacy, engagement, and achievement.
Specifically, this book helps readers use the Reading Apprenticeship® framework to increase student engagement and academic achievement in subject area classes.
Research has documented the effectiveness of Reading Apprenticeship for helping students gain the reading independence to master subject area course materials and other "gatekeeper" texts.
Endorsed by leading reading researchers and educators at every level, this book:
- Presents a coherent framework for improving the reading and subject area learning of all students, including English learners, students with other special needs, students in honors and AP courses, and those in technical and community colleges
- Includes research-based strategies tested and proven effective in thousands of classrooms
- Amplifies key points with authentic "classroom close-ups" of students' and teachers' interactions
- Provides concrete instructional and assessment tools
- Offers a clear vision of how to address the Common Core State Standards
If you find this useful, consider:
Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas: Getting to the Core of Middle and High School Improvement
By: Cynthia L. Greenleaf, Rafael Heller
Format: PDF | Copyright: 2007
Edited by: Audrey Fielding, Ruth Schoenbach
Price: $19.95 | Format: Trade Paper | Copyright: 2003
ISBN: 978-0-7879-6555-6 | Order #: READ-03-01
By: Aida Walqui, Leo van Lier
Price: $27.95 | Format: Trade Paper | Copyright: 2010
ISBN: 978-0-914409-75-5 | Order #: PD-09-01