Audience: Teachers, Public, Administrators
What Works Brief #6: Physical and Emotional Violence Victimization
By: Meagan O Malley, Angela Amarillas
Peer victimization, or bullying, occurs at schools, in neighborhoods, online — anywhere youth are — and can be physical or verbal, or through social exclusion from groups.
Instilling a sense of vulnerability, isolation, and fear in its victims, bullying affects the general sense of safety at school. It also reduces victims' ability to organize their mental and emotional resources, negatively affecting student outcomes.
To combat bullying, schools must provide resources for all students, including the victims, aggressors, and bystanders. This What Works Brief, cowritten by WestEd's Meagan O'Malley, focuses on how schools can best prevent and intervene in cases of bullying, including:
- How to be prepared when bullying happens
- Ways of taking action
- 10 best practices for bullying prevention and intervention
Based on the most current research, each of the ten briefs provides practical recommendations for school staff, parents, and community members and can be used separately to target specific issues (e.g., family engagement) or grouped together to address more complex, systemwide issues.
What Works Briefs are organized into three sections:
- Quick Wins: What Teachers and Adults Can Do Right Now
- Universal Supports: Schoolwide Policies, Practices, and Programs
- Targeted Supports: Intensive Supports for At-Risk Youth
- What Works Brief #1: Caring Relationships and High Expectations
- What Works Brief #2: Opportunities for Meaningful Participation
- What Works Brief #3: Perceptions of Safety
- What Works Brief #4: School Connectedness
- What Works Brief #5: Physical and Emotional Violence Perpetration
- What Works Brief #7: Harassment and Bullying
- What Works Brief #8: Substance Use at School
- What Works Brief #9: Family Engagement
- What Works Brief #10: Improving Staff Climate
If you find this useful, consider:
Edited by: Shane Jimerson, Amanda Nickerson, Matthew J. Mayer, Michael J. Furlong
Price: $114.95 | Format: Trade Paper | Copyright: 2011
ISBN: 978-0-415-88462-4 | Order #: HD-12-01
Edited by: William J. Chambliss
Price: $80.00 | Format: Hardcover | Copyright: 2011
ISBN: 978-1-4129-7858-3 | Order #: LI-11-01
What Characteristics of Bullying, Bullying Victims, and Schools Are Associated with Increased Reporting of Bullying to School Officials?
Format: PDF |
Format: PDF | Copyright: 2011