School Climate Assessment and Professional Development
T. Kiku Annon
Bo De Long-Cotty
What Is The Healthy Kids School Climate Survey?
The Healthy Kids School Climate Survey System (HKSCS) is a comprehensive, U.S. Department of Education-recognized* tool for providing the local data schools need to foster positive learning conditions as part of their school improvement efforts. HKSCS is comprised of three interrelated surveys for students, staff, and parents.
HKSCS provides schools and districts with critical information about the:
- learning and teaching environment
- safety, health, and well-being of students
- supports parents, school staff, and students need to foster engaged learning, positive youth development, and school success.
The surveys are low-cost, are available for both online and written administration, and are fully supported by online and print materials, "how-to" workshops, and technical assistance.
HKSCS began as the California School Climate, Health, and Learning Survey (Cal-SCHLS) data system developed for and supported by the California Department of Education. Since 2003, these surveys have been administered biennially by almost every school district in California.
Who Should Use The Healthy Kids School Climate Survey System?
- School districts
- Individual schools
- Afterschool or other youth program providers
Because the surveys contain many common items across student, staff, and parent forms, the data can be used by a wide range of educators and other professionals looking for ways to improve student, staff, and community engagement in and out of school.
What Professional Development Opportunities Are Available?
We also offer a full array of practical professional development opportunities to enhance participants' knowledge and skills in understanding how to foster school climates that will drive school improvement efforts and promote positive youth development and resiliency during and outside of school. Below is a partial listing of these offerings:
- Making the Most of Your Healthy Kids School Climate Survey Data
- From Risk to Resilience: Principles and Strategies of Youth Development
- Resilience, Youth Development, and Closing the Achievement Gap
- Listening to Youth: Using Youth Assets Data for School Community Improvement
- Listening to Teachers: Promoting and Supporting Resilient Teachers
- "YOU MATTER!" Promoting Resilience in After- and Outside-School Programs
- Using Afterschool Time for Student Projects and Work-Based Learning
What Does It Cost?
For information on survey costs, call our Regional Centers at 888.841.7536.
For Technical Assistance and Professional Development
General technical assistance (via phone or email) and teleconference workshops on survey administration, data analysis, and using results are free.
Costs for customized and professional development workshops and presentations vary, but are generally $500 per 1/2 day (up to 4 hours), and $1,000 per full day, per trainer or presenter. Preparation is charged at the custom services rate of $100/hour. Travel expenses are additional.
* The Healthy Kids School Climate Survey System is recognized in the U.S. Department of Education's Blueprint for reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. The staff survey has been approved for use by the U.S. Office of Budget and Management.
T. Kiku Annon
Bo De Long-Cotty