Meeting Common Core State Standards and College-Readiness Expectations Through Academic Literacy Instruction
SchoolsMovingUp at WestEd
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 @ 10:30 a.m. - to 12:00 p.m. (Pacific Time)
Tel: 415.615.3213 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for the Meeting Common Core State Standards and College-Readiness Expectations Through Academic Literacy Instruction webinar.
How can educators improve teacher proficiency in academic literacy instruction in secondary schools to align with Common Core State Standards and prepare students for college-readiness expectations?
In this free webinar, you will learn how two high schools transformed instruction by:
- Implementing a curricular and pedagogical approach focused on teaching academic literacy skills
- Improving teacher collaborative practices aimed at examining student work and data
Presenters will showcase Mar Vista High School and San Lorenzo High School's implementation of the California Academic Partnership Program's Expository Literacy Grant using the California State University-developed Expository Reading and Writing Curriculum (ERWC).
Among the topics the presenters will share are the curricular changes made by English departments to improve instruction and learning of academic literacy skills, and the improved expectations of student performance through teacher collaborative practices.
- Andrea Ball, California Academic Partnership Program (CAPP) Director
- Robby Ching, English Department Professor at California State University, Sacramento
- Katrine Czajkowski, CAPP Project Coordinator, Sweetwater Union High School District (California) Academic Coach and Teacher
- Tracy Huebner, Senior Researcher at WestEd and evaluator of the CAPP ELG
- Sayuri Shimada, San Lorenzo High School (California) Literacy Coordinator, Teacher, and CAPP Advisory Committee Member