California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 1 (California Department of Education, 2010)
The California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 1 provides an overall approach for teachers to support children’s learning through environments and experiences that are:
- developmentally appropriate,
- reflective of thoughtful observation and intentional planning,
- individually and culturally meaningful, and
- inclusive of children with disabilities or other special needs.
The framework presents ways of setting up environments, encouraging and building upon children’s self-initiated play, selecting appropriate materials, and planning and implementing teacher-guided learning activities.
What children learn during the preschool years is presented in the California Preschool Learning Foundations, Volume 1. As preschool teachers plan learning environments and experiences, the foundations provide the background information to:
- understand children’s developing knowledge and skills, and
- consider appropriate ways to support children’s learning and development.
The four domains that are the focus of the California Preschool Learning Foundations, Volume 1 and the California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 1 are:
- Social-Emotional Development
- Language and Literacy
- English-Language Development
To order the publication, visit the Educational Resource Catalog on the CDE Web site and request item #001682.