How WestEd Supports Migratory Students
WestEd is a nationally recognized leader in improving practices, policies, and processes that better meet the unique needs of migratory students and the professionals who serve them.
Drawing from our expertise in federal guidance and collaboration with local and state migrant education programs,
we conduct evaluations and provide professional learning and technical support to MEP professionals who wish to enhance their program’s identification and recruitment strategies, continuous improvement implementation, and application of federal guidance and requirements.
To learn more about how we can support your work, please contact Sharon Saez.
WestEd collaborates with you to focus on:
- Collaborative capacity-building to support effective MEP administrators, leaders, and support staff
- Appropriate application of federal guidance and requirements
- Robust needs assessments, evaluations, and continuous improvement tools to inform program needs and effectiveness
- Innovative approaches to identify, recruit, and increase the number of migratory students served
Increased capacity of MEP professionals in regions, districts, and states to identify, recruit, and serve migratory students in an effort to minimize the negative effects of disrupted schooling and ultimately increase migratory student academic achievement.
Engage in professional learning opportunities to cultivate deep expertise related to designing, facilitating, and supporting service delivery for migratory students.
Professional learning services extend across multiple MEP topics and include:
- Coaching and consultation
- Internal capacity-building
- Professional learning networks
Build your program’s capacity to plan and implement robust policies, programs, and practices that encourage an outcome-driven MEP culture to ensure migratory students have equitable access to education.
Technical assistance services include:
- Migrant student profile development
- Migrant re-interview sampling
- Stakeholder facilitation strategies
- Policy advising
- Guidance for local, state, and federal reporting requirements
Implementation of the Continuous Improvement Cycle for Migrant Education Programs
Ensure that elements of the Continuous Improvement Cycle (CIC) are fully understood and realized to drive progress and results for migratory student achievement and program-wide effectiveness.
We collaborate with MEP professionals to meet compliance requirements, build capacity, and support the implementation of CIC services, including:
- Professional learning networks to improve systems, programs, and services
- Program evaluations and data reviews
- State service delivery plan facilitation
- Comprehensive needs assessment facilitation
Identification and Recruitment Strategies
We aim to improve the identification and recruitment (I&R) of migratory children across the nation who are eligible for services by collaborating with programs to assess MEP state and local practices, conditions, and environments.We also help you identify promising practices in I&R to meet your unique needs.
Identification and recruitment strategies include:
- Collaborative I&R reviews
- Promising practices identification
- Community and employer stakeholder facilitation
- I&R plans and manual design
From Our Clients
The success we’ve had in meeting the needs of our English Learners and families is a direct reflection of the support and guidance we’ve received from our WestEd partners, thank you for helping us change student expectations and lives.
Brian Lemos, Director of Instruction and ELD, Greeley-Evans Weld County School District 6
I really liked this professional development because it was structured perfectly and allowed participants to engage with quality texts prior to the session, respected our synchronous time by efficiently moving from explanation to group work, and included well-designed reflection and follow up tasks to increase our retention of the material. This training was transformational for me in my practice.
Michelle Leversee, ELD Program Coordinator, Campbell Union High School District
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.