As the Manager of WestEd’s Office of Research Integrity (ORI), Becca Klarin oversees regulated research and institutional research compliance practices.
Klarin provides human subjects research consultations and guidance to WestEd staff on proposals and awarded work, and in coordination with external collaborators. She collaborates with internal and external partners on responsible conduct of research and data security best practices, and serves as the IRB Administrator, facilitating the Institutional Review Board (IRB) process.
Klarin’s expertise is far-ranging, from authoring evaluation reports to overseeing recruitment for randomized controlled trials. She has collaborated on projects including:
- The evaluation of Math in Common
- The evaluation of the Core to College initiative
- The Regional Educational Laboratory West’s impact study on the Problem-Based Economics curriculum
- California’s Career Technical Education needs assessment
- An evaluation of the implementation of consistent teaching strategies across a Bay Area (CA) school district
- A resource guide for smaller learning communities grantees on improving the quality and use of postsecondary data
Klarin serves on the Information Security Committee and the IRB.
She received a BA in history and dance from Connecticut College and an MA in education with a focus in curriculum & teacher education from Stanford University. She is a Certified IRB Professional, and has completed quality assessment training through the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Human Research Protections.