At the Center for the Future of Teaching & Learning, we believe the key to unlocking student success is by growing teachers’ skill, knowledge, and voice; creating the conditions for them to thrive; and amplifying their great work.
Bridging the gap between research and implementation, we:
- Work with school leaders and teachers to support standards-aligned instructional practices
- Build solutions through which local educators can take ownership of external reforms
- Inform the education community about innovative, evidence-based approaches and future trends in teaching and learning for increased student success
Our researchers have years of experience conducting timely and methodologically rigorous research studies, including qualitative and quantitative analyses, surveys, focus groups, case studies, and systematic reviews and meta-analyses of existing studies.
In addition, the center has experience leading networks and serving as the fiscal intermediary on behalf of philanthropic foundations, overseeing all aspects of grant management — from funding to administration to evaluation and reporting of individual and collective impact of the grantees.
Teacher Practice Networks
The Teacher Practice Networks initiative, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, is designed to accelerate the work of teacher networks as they engage their teachers in successfully implementing college-readiness standards.
Since 2013, the center has acted as an intermediary, supporting nearly 40 organizations that are leading these teacher networks. The collective work of these networks helps to reach more than one million teachers.
The initiative’s goals include supporting organizations to:
- Provide teacher leaders with high-quality standards-aligned resources, digital tools and platforms, and social media training to allow sustained teacher learning
- Develop teacher leaders to lead other teachers in collaborative professional learning
- Strengthen existing partnerships with local, state, and federal organizations to sustain teacher leadership development and scale network efforts through broader outreach
The Center’s California Initiatives
The Center for the Future of Teaching & Learning, in collaboration with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, launched the California Initiatives in response to the immense challenge facing the state’s educators: successfully implementing the new California State Standards to improve student success.
The center believes that leaders of schools, districts, and support providers can work together to ensure equitable outcomes for our students and their teachers. The California State Standards raise the expectations for our students, so we can set new standards for how we work to ensure students meet those expectations.
The center’s California Initiative work consists of three strands:
- Strand 1: Building technical assistance provider capacity through the California Standards Technical Assistance Network (CalSTAN)
- Strand 2: Building county, district, and school leader capacity through the California Standards Implementation Matrix
- Strand 3: Learning from district leaders, principals, instructional coaches, and teachers about the state of California Standards implementation to inform implementation leaders