Recorded on March 20, 2019
Sponsored by the Secondary Literacy Partnership and the California State University.
The California State University’s (CSU) Expository Reading and Writing Course (EWRC) is a college preparatory, rhetoric-based English language arts course for high school seniors designed to develop academic literacy (advanced proficiency in rhetorical and analytical reading, writing, and thinking).
CSU’s College Ready English Learners project has developed a new EWRC curriculum that is enhanced for English learners and designed to prepare students for postsecondary school.
In this archived webinar, Pamela Spycher, Senior Research Associate at WestEd, and Nancy Brynelson of CSU’s Office of the Chancellor, will present an overview of the new curriculum, illustrate how the course materials enact the ELA/ELD Framework and ELA/ELD Standards, and share lessons learned. Both Spycher and Brynelson served as lead writers of the CDE’s English Language Arts/English Language Development (ELA/ELD) Framework for California Public Schools.
In addition, a panel of secondary school teachers and coaches, CSU teacher educators, and county office of education partners will share insights gained from implementing the new curriculum in high school classrooms and describe the curriculum’s impact on student learning.
Who Will Benefit
This webinar will benefit those interested in adopting the new EWRC curriculum, including:
- Secondary school teachers
- District and school administrators
- County offices of education
- Professional learning providers
- High school counselors
- Other school staff professionals
What You Will Learn
Participants will gain an understanding of how the new curriculum:
- Emphasizes cultural and youth relevance
- Contains a wide variety of expository texts and literature
- Underscores the in-depth study of expository, analytical, and argumentative reading and writing
- Pamela Spycher, Senior Research Associate, WestEd
- Nancy Brynelson, Co-Director, Center for the Advancement of Reading, California State University Office of the Chancellor