Profiles of Key National Teaching Standards
These profiles supplement the REL West report, A Multistate Review of Professional Teaching Standards (PDF). The two sets of national teaching standards described here have been particularly influential in the development of teaching standards at the state level—the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards’ (NBPTS) The Five Core Propositions and the Model Standards for Beginning Teacher Licensing, Assessment and Development: A Resource for State Dialogue, developed by the Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC).
For both sets of standards, you will learn:
- The five core propositions or principles
- Structure of the teaching standards
- Development and dissemination of the teaching standards
- Teaching standards’ target audience
- Teaching standards’ approach to addressing the needs of special populations
- Teaching standards’ approach to teachers’ use of education technology
- Teaching standards’ approach to accountability and student learning standards
Teaching Standards: Profiles for Six States (PDF), another supplement of the report, is also available.
Information about the regional educational laboratory (REL) system and other REL publications can be found at the National Regional Educational Laboratory Program.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.