Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms, 2nd Edition
This significantly updated edition of Reading for Understanding shows how teachers and students can work together to boost literacy, engagement, and achievement.
Specifically, this book helps readers use the Reading Apprenticeship® framework to increase student engagement and academic achievement in subject area classes.
Research has documented the effectiveness of Reading Apprenticeship for helping students gain the reading independence to master subject area course materials and other “gatekeeper” texts.
Endorsed by leading reading researchers and educators at every level, this book:
- Presents a coherent framework for improving the reading and subject area learning of all students, including English learners, students with other special needs, students in honors and AP courses, and those in technical and community colleges
- Includes research-based strategies tested and proven effective in thousands of classrooms
- Amplifies key points with authentic “classroom close-ups” of students’ and teachers’ interactions
- Provides concrete instructional and assessment tools
- Offers a clear vision of how to address the Common Core State Standards
Reading for Understanding proves it’s never too late for teachers and students to work together to boost literacy, engagement, and achievement.
Praise for this Resource
Reading for Understanding is a monumental achievement, bringing years of rigorous reading research together in a framework for teaching. Several randomized clinical trials and multiple on-going studies demonstrate the effects of this approach.Elizabeth Moje, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and Associate Dean for Research, School of Education, University of Michigan
Reading Apprenticeship has proven to be an inspiration to Renton Technical College faculty and students alike. The ideas and strategies in Reading for Understanding anchor this new and broad-based energy around reading. [Renton Technical College has been named an Achieving the Dream leader college based on its use of Reading Apprenticeship approaches to increase student retention and completion rates.]Steve Hanson, President, Renton Technical College, Renton, Washington
Reading for Understanding has the finest blend I have seen of research, strategies, and classroom vignettes to deepen teacher learning and help them connect the dots between theory and practice.Curtis Refior, Content Area Literacy Coach, Fowlerville Community Schools, Fowlerville, Michigan
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will begin after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.