What Works Brief #7: Harassment and Bullying
How can school communities make sure their environments are free from all forms of aggression and victimization, including harassment, violence, and bullying?
This What Works Brief, cowritten by Meagan O’Malley, former Research Associate at WestEd, provides school staff with suggestions, including how to:
- Be visible, active, and interested
- Implement and advocate for clear, consistent, and fair behavior management policies, practices, and programs
- Encourage student and community involvement
- Provide conflict resolution education
Note: Developed by the California Safe and Supportive Schools (S3) Technical Assistance Center, What Works Briefs summarize state-of-the-art practices, strategies, and programs for improving school climate.
Based on the most current research, each of the ten briefs provides practical recommendations for school staff, parents, and community members and can be used separately to target specific issues (e.g., family engagement) or grouped together to address more complex, systemwide issues.
What Works Briefs are organized into three sections:
- Quick Wins: What Teachers and Adults Can Do Right Now
- Universal Supports: Schoolwide Policies, Practices, and Programs
- Targeted Supports: Intensive Supports for At-Risk Youth
In addition to Brief #7: Harassment and Bullying, download these What Works Briefs:
- What Works Brief #1: Caring Relationships and High Expectations
- What Works Brief #2: Opportunities for Meaningful Participation
- What Works Brief #3: Perceptions of Safety
- What Works Brief #4: School Connectedness
- What Works Brief #5: Physical and Emotional Violence Perpetration
- What Works Brief #6: Physical and Emotional Violence Victimization
- What Works Brief #8: Substance Use at School
- What Works Brief #9: Family Engagement
- What Works Brief #10: Improving Staff Climate
Information about California Safe and Supportive Schools (S3) can be found at the S3 website.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.