What You Will Learn
This three-day intensive institute is designed to strengthen teaching and learning in these major areas:
- Fostering collaborative academic conversations among students, abundant writing, and interactive reading around complex texts and intellectually rich content
- Deepening understanding of the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts (ELA) Literacy and California English Language Development (ELD) Standards
- Engaging students in text-oriented talk about the language in complex texts
- Observing students closely and continuously gathering evidence of student learning to provide both planned and just-in-time scaffolding
- Creating positive and culturally responsive learning environments
During the institute, participants will engage in collaborative, interactive tasks that both model and convey critical Framework principles:
- Discussing key readings from the California ELA/ELD Framework, including those related to integrated and designated ELD and culturally responsive teaching
- Participating in and analyzing standards-based, Framework-aligned “keystone pedagogies” as well as model lessons and sample units
- Sharing and developing new ideas about scaffolding student learning; using formative assessment practices and strategies; fostering equity; and establishing inclusive and supportive learning environments in which all students thrive
Who Will Benefit
- School Leadership Staff, TK-12
- District Leadership Staff
- Teachers, TK-12
- English Learner Specialists
Institutes are offered several times a year and are typically held in a school within a partner district. Institute dates are set when locations are secured.*
Districts can also request to host the institute.
Professional development is differentiated in four grade spans (transitional kindergarten TK-1, 2-3, 4-6, 6-12) and includes implementation planning for site and district administrators.
Site- and district-level leadership teams and site-level instructional teams are encouraged to participate together for optimal learning and implementation.
An institute can be contracted for 100 TK-5 participants or 120 TK-12 participants by districts.
* Please contact Annette Gregg at email@example.com or 510.326.2342 for information on dates and locations. You may also check the Summer Institutes page periodically, as dates and locations will be posted when available.
What Makes This Service Unique
The ELA/ELD Framework is California’s comprehensive approach to supporting all students — with a particular emphasis on English learners — to develop academic literacy, analytical practices, and deep content understanding across disciplines. This institute will help you deepen your understanding of the framework for English learner student success.
The cost to attend a three-day institute is $1,500/person; $1,300/person in teams of 4 or more.
To learn more, please contact Annette Gregg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510.326.2342.