What You Will Learn
WestEd’s two-day workshops use the principles and approaches described in Making Mathematics Accessible to English Learners: A Guidebook for Teachers.
As a workshop participant, you will enhance your knowledge and skills to differentiate instruction and assessment for English learners and other students with diverse learning needs, thereby giving all students universal, equitable access to a rigorous mathematics curriculum. Specifically, you will learn how to:
- Tailor instruction in the three-phase model of mathematics instruction to support an inquiry-based approach to teaching mathematics to English learners
- Use a chart of eight essential language skills to plan lessons that include English learners at different language development levels
- Apply academic language during mathematics lessons
- Implement seven research-based strategies to scaffold rigorous mathematics content standards
- Design accommodations to create equitable classroom mathematics assessments
- Integrate the instructional tools and strategies into “doable” daily pedagogy
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- Mathematics Teachers grades 6-12 (may include grades 4-5)
- Mathematics Coaches and Instructional Leaders
- Staff Developers
Two-day professional development workshops with flexible dates are available for your school or district teams of up to 35 people. We host the workshops at school districts or county offices of education.
What Makes This Service Unique
Making Mathematics Accessible to English Learners workshops are unique in their intentional focus on supporting language development within the mathematics classroom.
Led by educators experienced both in teaching mathematics and in working with English learners, the workshops provide participants with a wealth of ready-to-use strategies to enhance classroom instruction.
The two-day teacher workshop, including all accompanying workshop handouts and facilitator’s travel expenses, costs $10,000 per site for up to 35 participants.
Clients must purchase a copy of Making Mathematics Accessible to English Learners: A Guidebook for Teachers for each participant, as the guide is used throughout the workshop. Participants receive 40% off the price of the guide.
To learn more, please contact WestEd’s Sarah Warner at 781.481.1156 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.