What You Will Learn
As a participant in WestEd’s customized professional learning workshop, you will enhance your understanding, knowledge, and teaching of mathematics, and assess and understand students’ mathematical thinking. Specifically, you will:
- Engage in mathematics problem solving
- Learn to implement instructional strategies to help students achieve college- and career-ready standards in mathematics
- Understand how Standards for Mathematical Practice support students’ mathematical reasoning
- Assess student understanding through a careful analysis of a set of selected responses from your own students
- Examine and reflect on your own practice and think about the implications of these critical dimensions on your mathematics instruction
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- Mathematics Teachers
- Mathematics Coaches and Instructional Leaders
WestEd mathematics educators customize a two-day workshop — for both teachers and teacher leaders — to address local needs, adding optional ongoing support through online discussion groups and webinars.
Our workshops are built around video cases that engage teachers and/or leaders in mathematics tasks, analysis of classroom or professional development video clips, discussions, readings, and tasks designed as a bridge to teachers’ and leaders’ own practice.
Based upon your identified needs and specific workshop topics, a variety of materials will be used in the sessions, including College- and Career-Ready Standards for Mathematics and/or state or local standards; and WestEd research-based products and services including Making Mathematics Accessible to English Learners: A Guidebook for Teachers, Learning and Teaching Linear Functions, and Aim for Algebra.
What Makes This Service Unique
WestEd mathematics educators and researchers, with more than 20 years’ experience in mathematics teaching and professional development, will collaborate with you to plan, customize, and facilitate professional learning sessions to meet the needs of your school, district, or regional site.
Two-day workshops, online or on-site, with flexible dates are available for school or district teams of up to 25 people.
Each workshop, including all accompanying materials and facilitator travel and expenses, costs $10,000 per site, for up to 25 participants.
To learn more, please contact WestEd’s Katie Salguero at 650.381.6426 or firstname.lastname@example.org.