What You Will Learn
Session 1: Introduction (three-day workshop): Learn how to use Teachers as Learners: A Multimedia Kit for Professional Development in Science and Mathematics to conduct teacher professional development:
- Explore principles and conditions of effective and transformative professional development
- Examine these principles and conditions “in action” through video clips of professional development strategies
- Learn how to combine and customize effective professional development strategies to promote ongoing teacher learning in your own setting
- Analyze data to identify needs and set goals for your professional development
- Create an initial professional development plan to implement in your setting
Session 2: Leadership Development for School/District Professional Development (time varies; Session 1 is a prerequisite):
- Deepen understanding of Session 1 topics
- Learn about and apply a “collaborative video-viewing protocol”
- Co-design and co-facilitate a professional development session and receive coaching and feedback
- Develop, implement, and receive site-based coaching on a comprehensive professional development program in your own setting
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- Professional Developers
- Teacher Leaders
- Teacher Educators
- Teacher Development Specialists
Learning sessions range from two- or three-day workshops up to year-long strands to support site-based implementation.
The kit itself is based on principles elaborated on in Designing Professional Development for Teachers of Science and Mathematics, 2nd Edition. This classic best-seller has recently been updated and is included in the kit, which also includes the facilitator’s guide CD-ROM with detailed scripts, PowerPoint presentations, activities, and masters. Eighteen programs on four videotapes illustrate various professional development strategies.
What Makes This Service Unique
With over 40 years of combined experience designing and conducting professional development for teachers of science and mathematics across the country, WestEd’s Susan Mundry and Kathy Stiles have a deep understanding of the challenges and needs of classroom teachers. Mundry contributed to the design and development of the Teachers as Learners kit and is a co-author of the Teachers as Learners Facilitator’s Guide.
Workshop and site-based coaching days range from $2,000-$4,000 per day. A materials fee of $350 per participant covers the (discounted) price of the complete Teachers as Learners multimedia kit.
To learn more, please contact Katherine Stiles at email@example.com or 317.509.4596.
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.