What You Will Learn
The Teaching-Learning Collaborative (TLC) is recommended, but not required, as a follow-up to the K-12 Alliance NGSS Science Institutes.
Two levels of training are available for TLC:
- Level I is for school teams of 3-4 teachers who want to participate in the lesson study
- Level II is for district science coordinators/teachers on special assignment (TOSAs), or professional development providers who want to facilitate a TLC
Level I participants will learn:
- The BSCS (Biological Sciences Curriculum Study) 5E Instructional Model for quality student-centered science instruction that aligns with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Strategies for creating and implementing effective phenomenon-based 3-dimensional instructional design aligned to NGSS, including developing conceptual flows for student understanding; specific use of questioning strategies from teacher to students and vice versa — as well as encouraging student-to-student discourse; effective use of instructional materials; and developing appropriate assessment strategies to capture student understanding
- Skills to integrate content, pedagogical content knowledge, differentiated instructional strategies, and use of student work to assess understanding and modify instruction
Level II participants will learn:
- All of the above for the Level I participants
- Facilitation skills to coach the Teaching-Learning Collaborative teams in the local context
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
What Makes This Service Unique
WestEd’s K-12 Alliance staff facilitate the TLC learning model. They are the co-developers of the TLC model and for over 20 years have supported hundreds of teachers to enhance instruction and learning in science through the TLC process.
Who Will Benefit
- K-12 Science Teachers and Science Teacher Leaders in school teams of 3-4 members
- District Curriculum Coordinators responsible for science programs
- Science Professional Developers
Level I: $6,000 per team (3-4 teachers per team) includes 4 days of the TLC experience, light breakfast, and all materials at a local site of the school or district’s choosing.
Level II: $6,000 per participant includes 8 days of training spread over a year at a WestEd-hosted site, light breakfast, lunch, and all materials. Travel costs are not included.
To learn more, please contact WestEd’s Kathy DiRanna at email@example.com.