This spotlight highlights resources and access points for math and science teaching and learning, as well as reading across all subject areas. As school communities work on learning recovery and acceleration initiatives, educators can use these resources to inform classroom instruction.
Supporting Math Teaching and Learning with Evidence-Based Strategies
As a result of the American Rescue Plan, schools and districts have been able to access unprecedented amounts of funding. WestEd’s urgent call to action recommends those funds be put toward evidence-based strategies for improving math teaching and learning. Researchers at WestEd and elsewhere have conducted extensive research on math instructional strategy.
Young Children’s Reading, Writing, and Creative Expression
Teaching children in preschool to early elementary grades through interactive reading, creative writing, and the arts is made easier with the resources in this REL West collection. The resources are based on:
- The What Works Clearinghouse practice guide, Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten through 3rd Grade
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition teaching practice brief, Integrating Language Into Early Childhood Education
- And other research-based guidance
Getting Girls Interested in Math and Science
WWC’s Encouraging Girls in Math and Science IES Practice Guide offers educators clear and practical recommendations for inspiring girls to pursue math and science. Read a summary of the five strategies outlined in the guide and learn about supporting resources from REL West and the Doing What Works library.
Get the WestEd E-Bulletin
Stay informed about WestEd’s research, resources, services, events, and career opportunities by subscribing to our E-Bulletin. In the latest issue, you’ll find support for learning acceleration across all content areas.
- Improving Student Math Achievement: A Call to Action
- Helping Students Read Complex Texts
- Boosting Children’s Foundational Reading Skills
- Promoting Children’s Joyful Reading and Writing
- Showing Students How to Read Closely
- Amplifying Student Agency with Formative Assessment
- Encouraging Girls in Math and Science
- Communities of Practice to Support Math and Science
- How Administrators Support Science Teaching and Learning