Building Equity for English Learners is a two-year program designed to provide professional learning and coaching to Arizona’s educators of English Learners.
Hosted by WestEd’s Quality Teaching for English Learners (QTEL) in partnership with the Arizona Department of Education, school and district partners in Arizona are invited to participate in this work over the course of the 2022–2023 and 2023–2024 school years.
Who Should Participate?
Any Arizona educator who teaches English Learners at any grade level. Schools and districts should register in teams, with each team containing 4–5 teachers, an instructional coach, and an instructional leader. All participating educators will receive a $1,000/school year stipend upon completion of each year’s work.
What You Will Learn
- Year One (SY 2022–2023) focuses on building a shared understanding of key elements of effective teaching and learning for English Learners and providing immediately applicable instructional practices that can be incorporated into classroom instruction. Key themes for this year include supporting English Learners to engage in high challenge/high support learning opportunities and incorporating daily quality academic interactions.
- In Year Two (SY 2023–2024), educators continue to be introduced and apprenticed into high-yield pedagogical practices to support language and literacy development in tandem. Additionally, we intensify the internal capacity-building so that educators can carry the work to their schools and districts.
QTEL is one of Arizona’s American Rescue Plan (ARP) School and Community Grantees. As such, all professional learning, materials, facilities, and educator stipends associated with this project will be paid for with state ARP funding with no cost to schools and districts.
Participating schools and districts will be asked to ensure the following:
- A two-year commitment of a team of educators (consisting of 4–5 teachers, an instructional coach, and an instructional leader)
- Time for educators to participate in all associated professional learning activities
- Substitutes for participating educators