Are you ready to improve teaching and learning for English learners and other culturally and linguistically diverse students?
In these three-day intensive summer institutes, teachers and leaders learn how to implement integrated science, literacy, and English language development (ELD). The institute deepens and broadens understanding of California’s ELA, ELD, and Science Standards, as well as the California ELA/ELD Curriculum Framework, including supporting teachers to plan for integrated and designated ELD.
Professional learning for teachers is differentiated into four grade spans: TK–1, 2–3, 4–6, and 6–8. School and district teams are highly encouraged to participate together in the three-day institute for optimal learning and implementation.
An additional learning session, offered on the fourth day for a nominal cost, will allow participants to focus on leadership or application to Spanish dual immersion settings. Leaders will focus on site and district-level implementation. This session addresses topics such as professional learning, program components, and implementing and sustaining effective instructional practices. Dual Immersion teachers will learn how to approach language analysis and writing in Spanish, building upon the foundational learning from the previous three days.Teachers interested in the DI sessions will be divided into two grade span groups, TK–3 and 4–8, and space will be available on a limited basis.
The institute will focus on strengthening teaching and learning in four major areas:
- Fostering collaborative academic conversations among students, abundant writing, and interactive reading around complex texts and intellectually rich content
- Engaging students in text-oriented talk about the language in complex texts
- Observing students closely to provide both planned and just-in-time scaffolding
- Creating positive and culturally responsive learning environments
Participants will engage in collaborative and interactive tasks, such as:
- Discussing key readings from the ELA/ELD Framework, including those related to integrated and designated ELD and culturally responsive teaching
- Participating in and analyzing standards-based, framework-aligned “keystone pedagogies” and model lessons and units
- Sharing and developing new ideas about scaffolding student learning, formative assessment, and equity; and establishing positive learning environments in which all learners can thrive
Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Dates and Locations
June 26 – 28, 2018
Additional leadership session on June 29
Boronda Meadows Elementary School
915 Larkin Street
Salinas, CA 93907
Specific times along with travel and logistics information will be sent out in a confirmation letter.
Who should attend?
- School and district teams of teacher and teacher leaders
- Instructional coaches and principals
- District and county office leaders
- Teacher education faculty
- Interested community organizations
$1,500 per person
$1,300 per person for teams of 4+ people
Add on option: $100 for 4th day Leadership or Dual Immersion (DI) Day (Must be taken with 3 Day Institute)
Cancellation received on or before:
June 1, 2018: 100% of tuition refunded
June 8, 2018: 75% of tuition refunded
June 15, 2018: 50% of tuition refunded
After June 15, 2018, we will not be able to refund tuition
If you have questions or would like more information about registration, please email: LeadingWithLearning@wested.org.