Join Making Sense of SCIENCE for an interactive video series and online dialogue on Making the Change to Next Generation Science Teaching and Learning.
This four-part series begins on Wednesday, September 23, and wraps with a celebration on Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
Who Will Benefit
- State science leaders
- District and school site leaders
- Professional learning providers
- Teachers and science coaches
What You Will Learn
The series will highlight:
- Benefits from integrating science and literacy
- Concrete ways district and state leaders make a difference
- What research tells us about impactful professional learning
- Ways to invigorate teacher leaders and keep them in the profession
- How teachers are successfully making the shift to next generation science
- Designing Impactful Teacher Professional Learning – Get a window into next generation science classrooms and school changes with teachers’ accounts and researchers’ findings on the impact of Making Sense of SCIENCE.
- Preparing Teacher Leaders to Leverage Change – It’s a heavy lift to implement new standards in districts and across entire states. Find out how an investment in teacher leaders pays off big.
- Scaling-up Within Interdependent and Changing Systems – District and state partners offer valuable lessons about how they scale up science professional learning to support standards implementation. Learn about the partnerships and a systems approach required.
- Conducting Large-Scale Impact Evaluations Under Complex Conditions – National experts and educational researchers contextualize the challenges of studying a multi-year intervention aimed at supporting NGSS teaching and learning.
More than two dozen district and state leaders, teachers, researchers, and national experts will share research findings and offer practical insights from their participation in a multi-year Investing in Innovation (i3) study of professional learning.
Event Overview and Registration
Register for the live events, check out the videos, and contribute to the online dialogue.
Designing Impactful Teacher Professional Learning
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2020
Time: 3:30–4:30 p.m. PT
Preparing Teacher Leaders to Leverage Change
Date: Friday, September 25, 2020
Time: 10:00–11:00 a.m. PT
Scaling Up Within Interdependent and Changing Systems
Monday, September 28, 2020
11:00am–12:00 p.m. PT
Conducting Large-Scale Impact Evaluations Under Complex Conditions
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020
Time: 10:00–11:00 a.m. PT
i3 Celebration and Thank You!
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Time: 3:30–4:00 p.m. PT
- Kirsten Daehler, Principal Investigator and Director, Making Sense of SCIENCE at WestEd
- Jennifer Folsom, Lead Learning Architect and Associate Director, Making Sense of SCIENCE at WestEd
- Steve Schneider, Director of STEM, WestEd
- Jim Pelligrino, National science education expert, Learning Sciences Research Institute, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Bill Penuel, Next-generation science guru, School of Education, University of Colorado Boulder
- Lisa Snyder, District NGSS coordinator, Manteca Unified School District
- Marcia Barton, State science leader, formerly with New Mexico Public Education Department
- Toni Fink, Elementary teacher, Milwaukee Spanish Immersion School
- Tomás Atencio-Pacheco, Learnologist and teacher, Albuquerque Academy
- Adrianne Go-Miller, Elementary teacher, >Lodi Unified School District
- Lissa Gilmore, Science educator and site coordinator, San Joaquin County Office of Education
- Andrew Jaciw, Educational researcher, Empirical Education, Inc.
- Thanh Nguyen, Educational researcher, Empirical Education, Inc.
- Nicole Wong, Educational researcher, Heller Research Associates