Application Deadline – January 7, 2022
California K–12 staff and leaders are invited to apply for Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (SSLE) Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series.
The California Center for School Climate (CCSC), a project of the California Department of Education operated by WestEd, provides free school climate and data use support and trainings to the local education agencies (LEAs) in California.
SSLE Essentials is a virtual professional learning series for K–12 district and school staff and administrators in California. With an emphasis on equity, the series focuses on many topics that may be familiar, such as:
- Trauma-informed, restorative, and culturally responsive practices
- Social and emotional learning (SEL)
- School climate related whole-person topics
The series leads educators and education leaders to integrate a broad cluster of research-based content and culturally responsive practices that inherently work together to foster safe and supportive learning environments.
Participants develop the mindsets, knowledge, and capacity needed to infuse these practices into the everyday instruction and experiences of their schools, districts, and agencies.
Sessions are 2 hours each.
- K–12 Staff attend SSLE Essentials 1–8: 16 hours (8 sessions) synchronous learning time plus up to 1 hour of asynchronous work between each session
- K–12 Administrators and Leaders attend SSLE Essentials 1–10: 20 hours (10 sessions) synchronous learning time plus up to 1 hour of asynchronous work between each session
- Two additional sessions (SSLE Essentials 9 & 10) for administrators and leaders focus on sustainable systems and structures to support effective implementation, scale-up, and ongoing improvement
Synchronous learning and collaboration occurs via Zoom. Asynchronous practice and reflection occur via Canvas Learning Management System between sessions.
CCSC Cohort 1: Synchronous sessions held Tuesdays from 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Session Dates K-12 Staff: February 1, February 15, March 1, March 15, March 29, May 3, May 17, May 31
Additional Sessions for K-12 Administrators and Leaders ONLY: June 7, June 14
Applications Due: January 7, 2022
Selection Notifications Sent: January 18, 2022
For a limited time, course fees are covered by the CCSC. There is NO COST to participants to attend.
Who Should Apply
K–12 Staff and Administrators/Leaders best suited to successfully participate in the SSLE Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series:
- Commit to participating in all synchronous sessions and asynchronous reflection and collaboration (between sessions)
- Are interested in their own personal and professional growth
- Have support from decision-makers and supervisors (as appropriate) to attend sessions, work collaboratively between sessions, try out new strategies and practices, and share learnings and takeaways with colleagues
How to Apply
Please consider the criteria and commitments detailed above. Then complete the application.
For more information contact schoolclimate@WestEd.org.