Leading for Literacy: A Reading Apprenticeship Approach
This companion to the landmark classroom-focused Reading for Understanding gives schools and districts clear, concrete guidance, tools, and examples to improve the reading of students in middle school through college.
The book guides teacher leaders, coaches, and administrators through the nuts and bolts of implementing the Reading Apprenticeship Framework.
Reading Apprenticeship practitioners across the country address how to:
- Generate authentic buy-in from teachers and administrators
- Create Reading Apprenticeship communities of practice that sustain an institutional focus on a student-centered culture of literacy
- Use formative assessment to promote teacher and student growth
- Roll out systemwide plans for implementation
- Use the Reading Apprenticeship Framework to turn reform overload into reform coherence
Praise for this Resource
The kind of system-wide work described here has made an important difference in my district, and will—I believe—be a good guide for others as well.Michael Matsuda, Superintendent, Anaheim Union High School District
As a former teacher, instructional coach, and now curriculum director who has seen the benefits of Reading Apprenticeship for my own students and for teachers in schools and districts, I am eager to use Leading for Literacy as a resource for working with professional learning communities, developing teacher leadership, and supporting administrators’ understanding of what it really takes to help all our students achieve the kind of deeper literacy learning needed for the challenging texts and tasks we expect them to handle.Melissa Devlin, Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Literacy, Antietam School District
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will begin after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.