What You Will Learn
WestEd provides professional learning experiences that equip districts with the knowledge and skills for creating more inclusive schools. The WestEd team has the knowledge and experience to support district adoption of inclusive practices at all levels of the system—from the school superintendent to district paraprofessionals. Our services will help your district create a model for core instruction that is inclusive and sustainable for all learners, especially those who have been historically excluded.
Our approach to inclusive education centers on braiding together historically siloed departments within a district—providing educators with the skills, mindsets, and strategies for working in interdependent ways. Our goal in working together is to create a unified, holistic, and student-centered instructional model that is responsive to all students.
Participants will learn to:
- Understand inclusive and equitable core instruction and the ongoing collaborative structures that make this instruction sustainable.
- Apply and internalize the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework when designing instruction and as a tool for diagnosing barriers to learning.
- Understand the core components of Specially Designed Instruction (SDI) and how to apply this knowledge to general education learning experiences.
- Develop the infrastructure for high-functioning teacher teams composed of special education, general education, and other leaders and influencers.
- Activate the connection between student engagement and cultural responsiveness as a catalyst for powerful and lasting learning.
- Build intervention teams that equip school-based educators with the skills needed to include students with more complex needs successfully.
- Construct a continuum of service offerings while still retaining inclusive practices and values.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- School/district teams of general and special education instructional leaders
- Whole school academic instructional staff for immediate school implementation
How We Will Partner with You
Building a systemic framework is complex and requires a collaborative partnership that can evolve to create improved outcomes. A keystone of our work is extending our insight and resources in ways that make information discoverable, accessible, and usable.
Your partnership is valuable to us and we expect to learn and grow from our shared knowledge and experience. We are committed to establishing clear goals and deliverables that value diversity and stem from a guiding foundation of equity. Ultimately, if we are working together, we share a common goal of creating a learning framework that includes and supports all students in reaching their goals.
A scope of work and cost analysis is carefully and collaboratively crafted with each district through an intake process which allows our team to learn what support might best serve a district’s needs.
To learn more, please contact Zach Smith.