What You Will Learn
WestEd provides professional learning experiences for districts to develop an equitable MTSS framework that supports school and district leadership teams in making data-informed decisions about students’ academic, behavioral, and social emotional needs. MTSS creates a continuous improvement cycle to maximize instructional practices and interventions that sustain student growth.
MTSS aligns initiatives, resources, and supports across tiers of prevention and intervention to ensure each and every student’s learning needs are met. MTSS provides leadership teams with the tools to implement strong universal instruction that is data driven, aligned to standards, culturally responsive, and differentiated to meet the needs of diverse learners in their classrooms.
Participants will learn to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the components of an equitable MTSS framework and how it impacts change and continuous systemic improvement in a district.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of how to assess and improve the effectiveness and inclusivity of core (tier 1) instruction.
- Ensure the use of universal screening as a process to better enable educators to quickly respond to students’ academic, behavioral, and/or social emotional needs.
- Develop a keen understanding of the important difference between “monitoring progress” of students’ response to instruction and “progress monitoring” of students’ response to intervention.
- Learn to analyze data and problem solve as part of a data-based decision-making process.
- Build an evidence-based, multi-level prevention system predicated on universally designed high-quality first instruction that includes embedded intervention at every level.
- Create a collaborative and coherent system bound by a mission and vision embracing inclusivity, equity, and a focus on student outcomes.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- School/district teams of general and special education instructional leaders
- Whole school academic instructional staff for immediate school implementation
How We Will Partner with You
Building a systemic framework can be complex and requires a collaborative partnership that learns to grow together. The keystone of our work is to extend our insight and resources in ways that make information discoverable, accessible, and usable.
Your partnership is valuable to us and we expect to learn and grow from each other’s knowledge and experience. We are committed to establishing clear goals and deliverables that value diversity and stem from a guiding foundation of equity. Ultimately, if we are working together, we share a common goal of creating a learning framework that includes and supports every child to reach their goals.
The evidence base for this work comes from the support and guidance documents within the Kansas Multi-Tier System of Supports and Florida Multi-Tiered System of Supports approaches.
A scope of work and cost analysis is carefully and collaboratively crafted with each district through an intake process which allows our team to learn what support might best serve a district’s needs.
To learn more, please contact Kimberly Salomonson.
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.