Date: June 21, 2022
Time: 9:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m.
Session: Are You Authentically Engaging Your Community? Lessons Learned from On-the-Ground Community Assessments
Robin Chait of WestEd’s Charters & School Choice will facilitate a session at the 2022 National Charter Schools Conference (NCSC). The conference is June 19–22 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC. NCSC is the largest national gathering of charter school educators, advocates, and leaders.
Charter schools work best when they provide a rich learning experience that meets the needs of families in their communities. Whether you are a school developer, a CEO, or an authorizer, assessing community needs is critical to the success of the students you serve.
As Project Director with WestEd’s Charters & School Choice and throughout her career, Robin has worked in policy, research, and practice to expand education opportunities for all learners. In this session, she leads a panel discussion that explores how to design a community needs assessment process. Participants will learn how charter schools and authorizers:
- Developed a strategic roadmap to prioritize strengthening dialogue with families and communities
- Created a process for assessing and addressing community needs when opening a new school and shifting to in-person learning
- Rebecca Feiden, Executive Director, Nevada State Public Charter School Authority
- John Carlos Green, Community Engagement Manager, DC Public Charter School Board
- Jacque Patterson, Chief Community Engagement Officer, KIPP DC