School Leadership: A Key to Teaching Quality
The Center for the Future of Teaching and Learning at WestEd sponsored a policy forum on leadership in spring 2010. Teachers, principals, superintendents, policymakers, and researchers participated in this key forum.
Based on the forum’s deliberations, as well as a review of the literature and other data, this policy brief explains four ways principals can promote learning and support teachers:
- Create opportunities for collaboration and building a culture of trust
- Hold high expectations for adults and students alike
- Support educator learning
- Allocate resources in support of learning
The brief also highlights the following action items designed to strengthen education leadership development:
- Strengthen teacher evaluation
- Improve the system of evaluation and support for principals
- Identify models of effective school leadership teams
- Build a comprehensive data system to guide policy and practice
Visit the Center for the Future of Teaching and Learning at WestEd website for more information about the Center and its publications.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.