What You Will Learn
Learn how to collect, interpret, use, and disseminate survey data related to school climate, social-emotional health, and learning. Examine your school’s strengths and challenges, and compare the data to that of schools with positive climates.
We work with districts and schools nationwide to use and modify our CalSCHLS System and our survey data workshops to meet their unique needs.
Who Will Benefit
- School and District Leaders
- Teachers (grades preK–12)
- Student Supports (and Related) Staff
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
WestEd provides survey data collection and technical assistance for the California School Climate, Health, and Learning Survey (CalSCHLS) System and survey data use and dissemination. CalSCHLS data provides information and support for various aspects of school improvement.
Three companion surveys comprise the CalSCHLS System:
- California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS)
- California School Staff Survey (CSSS)
- California School Parent Survey (CSPS)
Although they vary in their focus and target populations (students, school staff, and parents), all three surveys assess a common core of school climate factors for comparability. Each survey is available in online and print forms, and can be customized with additional questions.
We provide support in collecting valid, reliable survey data as well as making full use of the System’s components to improve schools including:
- Administering the CHKS, CSSS, and the CSPS in your school or district
- Customizing your surveys with locally developed questions, or additional questions selected from a list of over 300 previously used questions on a wide variety of topics.
- Analysis of your data by CalSCHLS staff
- Assessment of how your district has progressed over time per many key questions
- Historical reference to 12 years of past CHKS student surveys (for California districts/schools only)
- Facilitating CalSCHLS Data Workshops during which Regional Coordinators will help you review your data and use it to improve school climate, which affects a wide range of youth outcomes including academic achievement, social and emotional well-being, and risk-taking behavior.
CalSCHLS System Administration Workshops (PDF) are two hours and CalSCHLS Data Workshops (PDF)are three hours. The workshops can be offered on two half days or combined (PDF) for one full day with a break for lunch.
LEA-level reports of the survey results are standard with each of the three surveys (CHKS, CSSS, and CSPS). Many clients also choose to purchase school-level reports to allow a focused, local assessment of strengths and issues. Data from all three surveys can also be reported based on the race/ethnicity of respondent groups, benefiting schools that are tackling achievement gap challenges.
Visit the CalSCHLS website for more information, including survey details.