What You Will Learn
- K-12 science content knowledge, based on the latest research and appropriate to your classroom grade level/s
- Research-based strategies for building student understanding, including that of English learners
- Instructional and assessment strategies to develop student understanding of the three dimensions of NGSS
- Tools to create and implement effective instructional design
- Skills to integrate content, pedagogical content knowledge, differentiated instructional strategies, and use of student work to assess understanding and modify instruction
- How to integrate science, math, and literacy skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- K-12 Science Teachers and Teacher Leaders
- District Curriculum Coordinators responsible for science programs
- Science Professional Developers
The K-12 Alliance one-week institutes engage elementary and/or secondary school teacher participants in large and small group work, hands-on activities, and laboratory experiences.
These institutes are conducted each summer at various California locations* and by arrangement with school districts in California.
* Please contact Vee Molinari at firstname.lastname@example.org to be included on an email list for upcoming events.
What Makes This Service Unique
The K-12 Alliance is recognized in California statewide as a premier professional development initiative for implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards. We are rapidly gaining recognition nationwide as well and partner with Achieve — a nonprofit education reform organization — for national work.
Our expert staff served as facilitators for California’s adoption of NGSS, writing the state strategic plan for the implementation of NGSS and served as committee members and writers of the CA Science Framework.
Our goal is to help all teachers expand their understanding of NGSS so that each student can reach his or her highest potential.
Tuition for a one-week institute is $2,000 per person or $1,600 for teams of 4 or more. Tuition includes light breakfast, lunch, and materials.
To learn more, please contact Vee Molinari at email@example.com.
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.