Recorded on June 17, 2020
This webinar builds on the webinar, How to Prepare Dual Language Elementary Students to Engage in Conversations Around Central Ideas with High-Quality Texts, and introduces dual language educators to teaching and learning approaches and processes that support elementary students’ abilities to access and engage in disciplinary literacy practices with high-quality, complex texts. Instruction designed to ensure high-quality interactions with texts allows students to develop metacognitive and metalinguistic practices while building and practicing their understanding of language.
The following topics are addressed in this session:
- The critical thinking and literacy practices needed to succeed in the 21st century
- A research-based approach to meaningfully engaging elementary dual-language students with high-quality texts that lead to:
- the development of metacognitive and metalinguistic practices;
- deepened understandings of key concepts and themes within and across texts; and
- support rich understandings of language
This is the eleventh of a 13-part webinar series designed to support English Learners in distance learning settings.