In each Budgeting for Educational Equity episode, host Jason Willis, Director of Strategic Resource Planning and Implementation for WestEd, welcomes education leaders and practitioners to discuss funding, education improvements, and strategies to advance resource equity across all levels of California’s public education system.
Learn how to turn ideas and evidence into actionable strategies.
Each episode presents guest speakers who share their expertise, discuss the tools they’re using, what’s working, and what they’ve learned. Join us to tap into the experiences of guest experts and colleagues who are doing the work every day of ensuring fair allocation of resources. This series will also present helpful briefs and worksheets to encourage usage and implementation of the ideas discussed.
Engage With Us!
Follow the series on Twitter at @Budget4EdEquity to keep up to date on the series; find additional resource recommendations; and share your thoughts, ideas, questions and feedback.
Episode 1: Getting Our Resource Equity Bearings (August 3)
In this first episode, Jason welcomes several guests to help you get your resource equity bearings as the series commences. Speakers include:
- Christopher Edley, Jr., Interim Dean, U.C. Berkeley Graduate School of Education, and Co-founder and President Emeritus, The Opportunity Institute
- Maria Echaveste, J.D., President and CEO, The Opportunity Institute; and former White House Deputy Chief of Staff
- Jayne Christakos, former Chief Business Officer, San Bernardino City Unified School District
- Marguerite Williams, Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services, Adelanto Elementary School District
- Adela Madrigal Jones, Superintendent, Sanger Unified School District; and former Senior Director of Equity and Diversity, Association of California School Administrators (ACSA)
- Michael Kirst, Professor Emeritus, Graduate School of Education, Stanford University; and past President, California State Board of Education
Episode 2: It Starts With Data and Listening to the System – Practical Ways to Approach Equitable Resource Allocation From the CBO’s Seat (August 17)
In this episode, Jason is joined by veteran school district Chief Business Officer Jayne Christakos. Their discussion offers practical insights into education equity and resource allocation and suggests how educators can get started. Jayne emphasizes promoting a culture of data use, asking questions, and “listening to the whole system.”
Episode 3: Collaborating and Planning for Change: More Resource Equity Learnings From a School District Leader Advancing the Work (August 24)
Sanger Unified School District Superintendent Adela Madrigal Jones shares her district’s approach to advancing equity. The episode is chock-full of practical guidance, real-life experiences, and candid reflections from a lifelong educator.
Episode 4: The Time and Space to Innovate Towards Equitable School Systems (August 31)
Episode 5: Connecting Student Learning and School Business Through an Equity Lens: One Instructional Leader’s Journey to Becoming a Chief School Business Official (September 16)
Each person’s equity journey is unique, including the one taken by Marguerite Williams, Ed.D. In this episode, Williams shares valuable insights about resource allocation and equity from her unique perspective as an instructional leader and a new Chief Business Officer.
- Episode 6: LCFF and LCAP and Their Impact on Resource Equity
- Episode 7: The Evolving Role of Chief Business Officers
WestEd works with state, regional, and school district leaders to create more effective and equitable education systems. Learn more about Strategic Resource Planning & Implementation at WestEd.