PBS KIDS Mathematics Transmedia Suites in Preschool Homes: A Report to the CPB-PBS Ready To Learn Initiative
This study evaluates the efficacy of three PBS KIDS Transmedia Suites in increasing preschoolers’ mathematics skills and enhancing their parents’ ability to support mathematics learning in the home.
Transmedia suites comprised thematically linked content presented across media platforms. The three suites used in this study are The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That, Curious George, and Sid the Science Kid, plus accompanying parent support materials.
Some key findings from this WestEd study:
- The three transmedia suites, along with their support materials, helped parents support their child’s mathematics learning over the course of the intervention
- The suites were positively associated with gains in children’s numerical knowledge and skills
- The suites and corresponding parent support materials gave parents a platform to get involved in their children’s mathematics learning
- The suites helped families understand children’s mathematics development; create conditions at home to promote mathematics activities; and apply the online mathematics games to support children’s mathematics learning
- Parents’ awareness of their children’s mathematics development significantly increased over the course of suite implementation
- Parents were highly involved in supporting their children’s mathematics learning
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.