Applications are due October 6, 2023. Apply now!
The California Center for School Climate (CCSC) is accepting applications from K–12 educators and education leaders for CCSC SSLE Deep Dive: Talking About Race as Healing Practice.
In this free six-part series, educators and education leaders will dive deep into racial literacy and its key role in safe, supportive, and even healing learning environments. Participants will work closely with their peers and SSLE facilitators in a collaborative learning community to develop the mindsets, knowledge, and capacity to engage in conversations about race from a mindful rather than reactive space in their work within schools, districts, and agencies.
This series will feature experiential and reflective learning using different approaches to discussing race, including mindfulness, storytelling, somatic awareness, and role play. Participants will also have opportunities for practice and practical application of deep racial literacy.
Who Will Benefit
- K–12 school district superintendents and administrators
- Principals and site administrators
- Teachers, teacher leaders, behavior specialists, and intervention coordinators
- Counselors, school psychologists, and mental health professionals
Synchronous learning occurs via Zoom. Asynchronous practice and reflection occur via Canvas Learning Management System between sessions.
Each session is held from 10:00 a.m.–11:30 a.m. PST
Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Session 1: Welcome and Framing Our Time Together
- Building trust in our learning community
- Understanding key theories and frameworks
- Grounding yourself in your “why” as it relates to racial literacy
Date: Wednesday, November 8, 2023
Session 2: Sharing Our Stories
- Building trust: Sharing stories within and across racial groups
- Practicing key racial literacy skills as we engage in racial affinity-based conversation
Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Session 3: Navigating Racial Stress and Conflict
- Building trust: Navigating racial stress and conflict
- Practicing key social–emotional racial literacy skills: racial affinity-based conversation
Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Session 4: Responding to Current Racial Dilemmas
- Building trust: Surfacing current racial dilemmas in our contexts
- Practicing key social–emotional racial literacy skills: dynamic role play
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Session 5: Practicing Vulnerability
- Building trust: How shame, fear, and anxiety show up in racial encounters
- Practicing key social–emotional racial literacy skills: dyadic storytelling
Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Session 6: Reflecting On and Celebrating Our Journey Together
- Celebrating our learning community
- Concretizing the learning journey