Serving the Whole Person: An Alignment and Coherence Guide for Local Education Agencies
Educators in K–12 school systems are increasingly acknowledging the importance of serving the “whole person” as an essential foundation for achieving equitable outcomes. The guide is based on the idea that equitable outcomes are more likely to result when whole-person initiatives are implemented in an aligned and coherent way.
If educators at every level of the K–12 system — from the state level to the classroom — work in aligned and coherent ways to sustain the conditions that support whole-person learning and development, every student will have experiences that support personal purpose, healthy relationships, a sense of place in community, success in school and the workplace, and engaged citizenship.
This Alignment and Coherence Guide’s central purpose is to help local education agency (LEA) leaders implement conditions for equitable learning and development for students, families, and educators, through their work to improve the alignment and coherence of their whole-person initiatives.
With this guide, leaders will:
- Understand what serving the whole person means, and how this work can contribute to equitable outcomes for students, their families, and their communities.
- Connect their district or school whole-person initiatives to a broader vision for whole-person outcomes.
- Tailor the implementation of whole-person initiatives so that they are more aligned and coherent.
- Communicate — in a clear and compelling way — and about why and how their district or school serves the whole person.
This comprehensive, adaptable, research-informed, and field-tested guide is also the basis of a related WestEd service. Discover how our technical assistance team can lead you through a structured yet flexible process to improve the alignment and coherence of whole-person efforts.
This guide helps SEA leaders achieve greater alignment and coherence in their whole-person initiatives through an adaptable and guided process.
Integrating Social and Emotional Learning throughout the School System: A Compendium of Resources for District Leaders
This compendium provides resources for district leaders to consider as they seek to implement evidence-based supports to ensure social and emotional learning (SEL) is fully integrated into educational experiences.
Breaking Down Barriers, Building Relationships: Delaware’s Collaborative Approach to Inventorying Whole-Child Efforts
This case story describes Delaware Department of Education (DOE)'s collaborative approach to inventorying whole-child efforts, using and adapting the guide to comprehensively review their statewide initiatives.
- Serving the Whole Person: Guidance for Alignment and Coherence for State and Local Education AgenciesImprove the conditions of learning and development and advance equitable outcomes for children, youth, and families in your state or district through improved alignment and coherence of your whole-person initiatives.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.