We drive sustainable, transformational change by addressing systemic policy and fiscal barriers in early education, pre-K–12, tribal, and higher education at the state and local levels. Our goal is to actively promote and enable equitable ways to serve the whole child, family, and community.
Our team is deeply knowledgeable in resource allocation, applied research, partner engagement, and continuous improvement. Working within these domains, we apply strategies to illuminate opportunities to improve systems—including organizational, fiscal, and value systems—within states, regions, and local education agencies. Through a collaborative process, we determine how organizational structures, policies, resources, and processes can more effectively fulfill your institution’s defined goals.
WestEd’s statutory, regulatory, and funding knowledge positions us to engage state-level leaders and achieve high-level impact goals that intersect policy, finance, and systems change.
Improving how resources are allocated, distributed, and used in early childhood, pre-K-12, tribal and higher education to advance equity and support comprehensive system improvement.
Supporting LEAs, states, and tribal governments in building effective policy structures—including finance, governance, and accountability—to support education and school-based health system improvement.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
- Lupita AlcaláLupita Cortez Alcalá is Director of Education Policy and Outcomes. She has more than 20 years of experience championing better educational outcomes for the children and adults of California, and more than a decade in government affairs for pre-K–12 and higher education. She regularly promotes and implements programs for early education, English Learners, migrant students, career pathways, Linked Learning, workforce, and STEM. Most recently, she served as the first Latina Chief Deputy Superintendent for the California Department of Education.View Full Bio
- Dana ChambersDana Chambers draws on 18 years’ experience in partnering with states and districts to engage in data-driven decision-making, implementation planning, and continuous improvement. She has served on leadership teams of federal technical assistance (TA) centers, overseeing portfolios of consulting services and facilitating multi-state learning collaboratives on a wide variety of education issues, specializing in educator talent, school improvement, and student engagement and attendance.View Full Bio
- Kelsey KrausenWith more than two decades of experience in education policy and administration, Kelsey Krausen is dedicated to supporting improvement across all levels of the nation’s education system and ensuring that resources are allocated to meet student needs. At WestEd, Krausen manages policy development, technical assistance, and research projects at state and local levels. Her areas of expertise include accountability systems, finance, and systems improvement.View Full Bio
- Dr. Niki SandovalDr. Niki Sandoval (Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians) supports tribal leaders through strategic resource planning and implementation. Sandoval is former Education Director for the Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians and Assistant Director for Community Services for Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian.She brings rich expertise to her work with state, regional, and local education agencies in aligning their education policies, strategies, and accountability practices to achieve more equitable outcomes for students. View Full Bio
- Jason WillisJason Willis oversees WestEd’s school finance and accountability work, supporting state, regional, and local education agencies to align their policies, strategies, and practices to achieve more equitable education outcomes for students. Previously, Willis served as Assistant Superintendent with San Jose Unified School District overseeing the district’s 5-year strategic plan implementation. Willis also served as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in Stockton Unified School District and budget director for Oakland Unified School District.View Full Bio
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.
We have partnered with state, regional, and school district leaders nationwide to build organizational capacity for strategic resource use and systemwide improvement.
This is one of the most robust and thoughtful and meticulously researched studies on school finance in the country and in the history of school finance litigation. WestEd should be commended on this incredible body of work.
– Rick Glazer, Executive Director of the North Carolina Justice Center, in reference to WestEd’s North Carolina Education Finance Study