Making Sense of SCIENCE: Genes & Traits for Teachers of Grades 5-12 (Teacher Book Bundle)
Proven through rigorous research to be effective for both teachers and students, Making Sense of SCIENCE helps teachers gain a solid grasp of challenging science concepts, overcome common misconceptions, analyze effective teaching practices, and explore how literacy supports impact learning.
These comprehensive course materials for 5–12 science teachers are designed to deepen science understanding in the context of student learning.
Designed to complement any curriculum, these materials support the learning of key concepts related to genetics—from the origins of traits to the many factors that influence gene expression. The concepts are central to Next Generation Science Standards and aligned with Common Core State Standards in literacy.
The Teacher Book bundle includes:
- The Genes & Traits Teacher Book, which contains teaching cases of actual classroom practice, science background information, and guided investigations that explore science in conjunction with related literacy supports and teaching practices
- Making Sense of Student Work: A Protocol for Teacher Collaboration, designed to accent the Teacher Course and support the learning of teachers during the school year by providing guidance in collaboratively examining and learning from their students’ work
- Digital resources that include all course handouts, additional classroom resources, the eBook edition of Making Sense of Student Work: A Protocol for Teacher Collaboration, and the Genes & Traits Formative Assessment Task Bank
- Facilitator Guide Bundle: Contains the Facilitator Guide, Teacher Book, Making Sense of Student Work: A Protocol for Teaching Collaboration, and a digital download that includes all course materials; the eBook edition of Making Sense of Student Work: A Protocol for Teacher Collaboration; and the Genes & Traits Formative Assessment Task Bank
- Charts: A set of single-use 24″ x 32″ wall charts that are used by facilitators to anchor discussions and provide a visual archive of teachers’ thinking in the Teacher Course
- Formative Assessment Task Bank: A collection of 20 formative assessment tasks for use with grades 5–12 students
- Facilitation Academies prepare staff developers, district science leaders, and other teacher educators to effectively lead a Making Sense of SCIENCE Teacher Course
- Teacher Courses empower teachers to educate students in ways that increase engagement, promote critical thinking and analysis, and ultimately improve achievement
Visit Making Sense of SCIENCE for more information about our professional development services and resources.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.