Recorded on April 11, 2018
School climate and wellness are essential aspects of school improvement efforts that can lead to increased student engagement, attendance, achievement, and success. But cultivating and sustaining a positive school climate that creates the necessary conditions for learning and teaching can be challenging.
The Moving the Needle on School Climate and Wellness Toward a Happier and Healthier School Community webinar series is designed to help school leaders plan and implement policies and practices that improve climate, engage students and staff, and support the needs of all members of the school community.
The series features subject matter experts and practitioners from around the country as guest presenters.
This fourth and last archived webinar, Crossing the Finish Line: Student Wellness and End-of-Year Transitions, explores how school leaders can best support students during the high-stress and emotional final months of school.
Who Will Benefit
- K-12 school district superintendents and administrators
- Principals and site administrators
- Teacher leaders, behavior specialists, intervention coordinators
- School board members and parent leaders
What You Will Learn
- Explore school-related stressors that impact student achievement each spring, including testing, academic challenges, and worries about physical (food, housing, safety) and emotional (routine, behavioral expectations, personal connections) instability over the summer
- Consider ways to support student wellness and leverage end-of-year transitions (e.g., promotion, graduation) to build resilience and self-efficacy
- Hear from school and district leaders who are working to get students successfully over the finish line at the end of the school year
- Jenny Betz, School Climate Specialist, Health & Justice Program at WestEd
- Julie Kurtz, Formerly Regional Director with WestEd’s Center for Child & Family Studies
View Other Webinars in This Series
- School Climate and Wellness Foundations: Strategic Goals for Improved Teaching and Learning (Aired October 27, 2017)
- Numbers Tell a Story: Using School Climate Data to Drive Student Engagement and Motivation (Aired November 29, 2017)
- Refueling Mid-Year: Self and Collective Care for School-Based Staff (Aired February 20, 2018)