Recorded on November 29, 2017
School climate and wellness are essential aspects of school improvement efforts that can lead to increased student engagement, attendance, achievement, and success. But cultivating and sustaining a positive school climate that creates the necessary conditions for learning and teaching can be challenging.
The Moving the Needle on School Climate and Wellness Toward a Happier and Healthier School Community webinar series is designed to help school leaders plan and implement policies and practices that improve climate, engage students and staff, and support the needs of all members of the school community.
The series features subject matter experts and practitioners from around the country as guest presenters. Participants are welcome to attend any or all of the webinars. Archived recordings of each webinar will be available.
This second webinar, Numbers Tell a Story: Using School Climate Data to Drive Student Engagement and Motivation, explores what key questions might arise when school leaders start to look closely at school climate data, and how might schools collect additional information to guide policy and practice.
Who Will Benefit
- K-12 school district superintendents and administrators
- Principals and site administrators
- Teacher leaders, behavior specialists, intervention coordinators
- School board members and parent leaders
What You Will Learn
- Review the basics of collecting and analyzing school climate data and identifying areas where more information is needed
- Consider ways to investigate and address disparities in school connectedness, safety, academics, and discipline
- Learn how to incorporate school climate and wellness issues into ongoing school improvement efforts
- Hear from school/district leaders effectively using data to influence policy and practice and improve school climate
- Erin Valls, School Climate Transformation Grant SCTG/AWARE Project Director
- Jenny Betz, School Climate Specialist, Health & Justice Program at WestEd
- Christina Pate, Research Associate, Health & Justice Program at WestEd
View Other Webinars in This Series
- School Climate and Wellness Foundations: Strategic Goals for Improved Teaching and Learning (Aired October 27, 2017)
- Refueling Mid-Year: Self and Collective Care for School-Based Staff (Aired February 20, 2018)
- Crossing the Finish Line: Student Wellness and End-of-Year Transitions (Aired April 11, 2018)