English Learners, Multilingual Learners, and Migratory Students bring rich cultural and linguistic assets to their school communities. However, persistent differences in academic achievement highlight the need to address opportunity gaps and accelerate learning for these students. Specialized knowledge, expertise, and systemic supports are essential in order to appropriately serve this growing population of students.
To help educators ensure access to high-quality instruction and build equitable systems in which all English Learners, Multilingual Learners, and Migratory Students can thrive, WestEd offers research, professional learning and services designed to strengthen learning outcomes.
By working directly with practitioners, English Learner and Migrant Education Services at WestEd partners with schools, districts, and states to:
- Understand the unique needs of English Learners, Multilingual Learners, and Migratory Students
- Address persistent opportunity gaps
- Design and deliver academically rigorous, culturally relevant instruction
- Create inclusive, strengths-based learning environments that recognize the cultural and linguistic assets of diverse student groups
- Provide access to education and health support services
- Build capacity through professional learning, comprehensive needs assessments, strategic improvement planning, and leadership development
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
- Aída WalquiAída Walqui is the Director of the National Research and Development Center to Improve Education for Secondary English Learners. She has over five decades of experience improving the expertise of teachers and educational leaders to deepen and accelerate the linguistic and academic achievement of English Learners.View Full Bio
- Haiwen ChuHaiwen Chu is a Senior Research Associate with WestEd’s English Learner Services. He works with schools and districts directly to improve instruction for English learners while also contributing widely to the field of educational research.View Full Bio
- Molly Faulkner-BondMolly Faulkner-Bond is a Senior Research Associate with WestEd’s English Learner Services who collaborates with educators, researchers, and communities to strengthen the field of education research, increase the use and utility of educational research results, substantively impact teaching and learning, and improve educational outcomes for linguistically and culturally diverse learners.View Full Bio
- Pamela SpycherPamela Spycher is a Senior Research Associate with WestEd’s English Learner Services. She works to improve educational experiences and outcomes for students in preschool through high school by engaging educators at all levels of the system to improve educational access and equity.View Full Bio
- Debra BenitezDebra Benitez is the Director of Migrant Education Special Projects. She works to support educational leaders to better define organizational values, build capacity in systems change, and develop inclusive programming to address inequities and improve outcomes for migratory students and students served in special education.View Full Bio
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.
We have partnered with state, regional, and school district leaders nationwide to build organizational capacity for strategic resource use and systemwide improvement. Below, we highlight featured projects which illustrate the depth and breadth of our work.
Raising the Bar: English Learners in Colorado Thrive Under High Expectations
WestEd collaborated with the Greeley-Evans School District (CO) to develop a Master Plan for English Learner Success and implement an integrated approach to high-quality instruction for English Learners of all proficiency levels. Schools have seen impressive growth in academic performance.
Embracing the Challenge: How a Wisconsin Elementary School Radically Improved Its Performance
After identifying areas of need, WestEd helped Fort Howard Elementary to implement a multifaceted, whole-child approach to improvement. Find out how Fort Howard achieved an “Exceeds Expectations” score on the state accountability rating.