WestEd partners with schools and districts to provide tailored, direct, and immediate support for implementing and sustaining small- and large-scale improvement and transformation efforts. Many of our experts are leading practitioners and researchers who have experience facilitating a wide range of improvement projects across different content domains.
The Center for School Turnaround and Improvement (CSTI) at WestEd is a nationally recognized leader in the research and development of solutions that support systemic improvement for all schools. We work with you at all levels—from SEAs to districts to individual schools—to identify and help sustain evidence-based, promising practices that ensure equity and drive systemwide change for rapid improvement.
Our work is guided by the Four Domains for Rapid School Improvement and a process for continuous improvement to strengthen leadership capacity and build, implement, and sustain high-quality schools and systems.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin for regular updates on research, free resources, services, and job postings from WestEd.
Connect with us on social media, where we share valuable information every day to help you tackle real-world challenges.
- Sofia AburtoSofia Aburto is a Senior Engagement Manager for WestEd. She facilitates district and schoolwide improvement planning through data and service needs assessments, sharing of research-based school improvement strategies, and comprehensive schoolwide planning in rural and urban schools serving significant numbers of students designated as English learners and students from low-income families. She also offers technical support to Arizona district or site administrators and literacy coaches in developing their classroom observation skills and teacher feedback techniques.View Full Bio
- Terry HoferTerry Hofer is the Director of School Improvement, helping lead WestEd’s Center for School Turnaround and Improvement. He has worked with educators at all levels to support school improvement in 27 states and counting, and has provided leadership coaching and school transformation support to numerous schools using aspects of WestEd’s Four Domains of Rapid School Improvement Framework.View Full Bio
- Rose Owens-WestRose Owens-West helps districts to correct disproportionality in special education, address equity issues to close achievement gaps, and develop and follow effective implementation plans. She regularly works with state departments of education to develop policies and programs to address issues such as chronic absenteeism and improving outcomes for underserved and under-represented students.View Full Bio
- Maria ParedesMaria Paredes is dedicated to excellence and equity in family engagement. She works to tear down walls between home and school and helps educators and families join forces as genuine partners for learning. Her areas of expertise include family and community engagement, organizational development, needs assessments, and design of high-impact family engagement programs for state departments, districts, and schools.View Full Bio
- Kevin PerksKevin Perks is Director of School and District Services for WestEd. Perks leads a team that provides coaching and consulting to schools, districts, and state departments of education around school improvement, literacy, standards-based curriculum, instruction, assessment, motivation and engagement, professional learning communities (PLCs), and teacher effectiveness.View Full Bio
- Bob RosenfeldBob Rosenfeld is a Senior Engagement Manager for WestEd. He builds the capacity of districts, schools, and those who work with them to plan, implement, and monitor research-based, comprehensive reform efforts. He has been working with districts in California, Arizona, North Carolina, and Massachusetts to build local accountability systems and guide evidence-based pratices to improve teaching and learning outcomes.View Full Bio
- Contann DabneyContann Dabney is a Senior Facilitator with WestEd, leading efforts to support effective school improvement and turnaround projects. She is an experienced leader, presenter, and coach with expertise in data-driven school improvement.View Full Bio
- Joseph G. SassoneJoseph G. Sassone is a School and District Improvement Senior Facilitator at WestEd, helping schools build their capacity to transform systems in ways that improve educational outcomes and advance equity. He has a strong background in leading complex transformation projects with schools and districts that need improvement.View Full Bio
Stay up to date with the latest WestEd news, events, research, and leading voices to support your commitment to improving learning, healthy development, and equity in schools and communities.
Our Work in Action
Supporting Regional Implementation of Digital Literacy Standards in New York
WestEd is helping the Orange-Ulster BOCES (OUB) develop teacher leaders to support the implementation of new state digital literacy standards adopted in 2020. Each year up to 100 teacher leaders participate in a project to learn the new standards and create opportunities for K–8 students to research, create, collaborate, and communicate using tech-enhanced approaches. WestEd designed and facilitated four, day-long professional learning sessions and developed a school-level professional learning community resources and meeting protocols for teacher leaders. We are continuing to develop asynchronous professional learning courses and stand-alone sessions to further support teachers and leaders in the region.