Episode 6: Advancing Evidence-Based Practices in the REL West and Northwest Regions
In this episode, Danny Torres talks with Dr. Katie Drummond, Director of the Regional Educational Laboratory (REL) Northwest, and Dr. John Rice, Director of the Regional Educational Laboratory (REL) West.
Their conversation covers a range of topics, including:
- Addressing effects of the pandemic in the REL West and REL Northwest regions
- Partnering with community-based organizations and state and local education agencies
- Advancing research and evidence in state and district programs
- Supporting the whole child and closing opportunity gaps in education
- Accelerating learning in mathematics and language arts
- Reducing chronic absence and disparities in disciplinary actions
- Improving teacher retention
Since 1966, the Regional Educational Laboratories (RELs) have partnered with school districts, state departments of education, and others to help improve educational effectiveness and improve learner outcomes. WestEd operates REL Northwest, which serves Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington, and REL West, which services Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah.
By leveraging research-based practices and evidence, WestEd’s RELs aim to improve education outcomes for all students in the regions they serve.
Related REL Northwest Resources
- Accelerating Literacy Outcomes in Montana Through Evidence and Data Use (Blog Post)
- Using Technology to Support Postsecondary Student Learning (Practice Guide)
- REL Northwest Website
- Subscribe to the REL Northwest email newsletter
Related REL West Resources
- Supporting California’s English Learner Students Who Have the Most Significant Cognitive Disabilities (Blog Post)
- Self-Affirmation: A Powerful Tool for Addressing Stereotype Threat (Infographic)
- The Foundation for Education Equity Systems Change (Infographic)
- About REL West (Video)
- REL West Website
- Subscribe to the REL West email newsletter
In this episode, Dr. Christina Pate, Deputy Director of the U.S. Department of Education’s Center to Improve Social and Emotional Learning and School Safety, and host Danny Torres share a rich discussion about the importance of educator self-care for improved well-being and better student outcomes.
In this episode, we hear from Nancy Gerzon, Franchesca Warren, and Cali Kaminsky, all experts with WestEd’s Formative Insights. Formative Insights works with schools and districts to amplify student agency and identity through formative assessment policies and practices.
Leading Voices Podcast Series Episode 3: Sustaining Education Leaders of Color—A Conversation with Dr. Erin Browder
In this episode, host Danny Torres and Dr. Erin Browder, Senior Program Associate at WestEd, discuss the pressing and enduring needs of leaders of color and the work the education community must do to address the systemic inequities that threaten leaders’ health and well-being.