Reading Apprenticeship Academic Literacy (RAAL) Course: Teacher’s Guide Unit 3, Reading Science
This third unit of the Reading Apprenticeship Academic Literacy Course introduces close reading of a range of science texts and genres. Readings focus on nutrition, physiology, and health, including special attention to the causes and dangers of obesity. Students continue to practice literacy skills introduced in Units 1 and 2 and add new strategies related to the reading of science texts specifically.
The Teacher’s Guide for Unit 3 includes:
- Unit overview and rationale
- Scope and sequence
- Student goals
- Lesson plans and lesson background information
- Companion sustained silent reading lessons
- Documents for projection
- Copies of Unit 3 Student Interactive Notebook pages
- Reproducible pages for student metacognitive logs
- Assessment tools
- Connections to the Reading Apprenticeship Framework
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.