Recorded on January 25, 2022
With the recent federal recovery funds lasting only three to five years, how do districts sustain innovative and effective support services and improve student outcomes over the long term?
In this second session in our Leading Voices online conversation series learn how districts can sustain innovative and effective support services and improve student outcomes over the long term.
Jason Willis, Director of Strategic Resource Planning & Implementation for WestEd, led a fireside chat with Nolberto Delgadillo, Chief Financial Officer for Portland Public Schools (PPS), to discuss PPS’s efforts to maintain an approach to build, establish, and evaluate investments from one-time federal resources. The chat was designed to support your efforts to sustain investments in student learning strategies and improve equity for all students by offering real-world examples from an urban school district serving more than 49,000 students in 81 schools.
- Creating space and time for practitioners to re-engineer their practices
- Making informed financial decisions
- Supporting and committing to the community beyond school settings
- Measuring outcomes and making progress with transparency
Resource and Website List
The following resources and web pages are listed in the order they were shared in the chat. Follow along with the session recording for additional context.
- Three Strategies for Investing One-Time Federal Relief Aid to Make a Lasting Difference: Sustainable Financing of Education Innovations
- Portland Public Schools School Budget Introduction – December 2021
- Adapting a Cardinal Rule of Finance: Five Strategies for Using One-Time Federal Funding on School Staffing
- Budgeting for Educational Equity Podcast
- Following Through: 5 Strategies for Getting Federal Relief Aid to Students Who Need It Most
- Meeting the Moment: How Education Leaders Can Maximize Federal COVID Relief Aid to Support More Equitable Student Learning
Questions? Contact Jason Willis.
Learn more about our Strategic Resource Planning & Implementation work.