The Region 2 Comprehensive Center is completing its first year of work and entering into year two of a five-year grant, awarded by the U.S. Department of Education to WestEd in September 2019. The Region 2 Comprehensive Center serves the states of New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.
Led by WestEd in collaboration with the Education Development Center and Mathematica, the Region 2 Comprehensive Center builds the capacity of state education agencies, regional education agencies, local education agencies, and schools to improve instructional quality, address achievement and equity gaps, and provide support for state-identified priorities and initiatives. The center additionally works closely with Regional Educational Laboratory (REL) Northeast and Islands stakeholders to use data and research to advance student outcomes.
Director Sarah Barzee and Region 2 staff bring extensive technical assistance and content expertise in designing, developing, and implementing strategies to support education improvement. The center’s plans are tailored to address high-leverage challenges articulated by education leaders in the region.
Current projects include:
- Supporting Connecticut in Developing a Statewide Social and Emotional Learning Framework
- Collaborating with Connecticut to Develop a Framework for District System Health
- Supporting Educator Diversity Efforts in Connecticut
- Strengthening Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Education in New York
- Supporting Implementation of the New York State K–12 Computer Science and Digital Fluency Standards
- Supporting New York with Reviewing High School Graduation Measures
- Engaging Stakeholders to Inform New York State Education Department Regulations Regarding the Process to Determine Substantial Equivalency of Education in Non-Public Schools in New York
- Collaborating with Rhode Island to Support Diverse and Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Educators in the State
- Assisting Rhode Island with the Implementation of the New Site-Based Management System
- Supporting Rhode Island with the Development of a New District Accountability System
- Rhode Island Blueprint for Multilingual Learner Success
- Strengthening Coherence Around RI’s Blueprints for Success
- Supporting Region 2 States with COVID-19 Challenges
- Supporting CT and RI in Developing a Process to Conduct Resource Allocation Review
To learn more about WestEd’s work through the Region 2 Comprehensive Center, please contact Sarah Barzee at sbarzee@WestEd.org.